Wednesday, May 5, 2010

#10

TOXIC SLUDGE IS GOOD FOR YOU:

1. I was shocked that a woman from an environment organization would be advocating for the use of toxic sludge. It was also intersting that her title is "Director of Public Information." We could see her using selling techniques just in this short phone call, as she advocated for another title.
2. It is shocking to learn about organizations that are considered "good" throughout the U.S. Such as the EPA stalling the request for information, and collaborating with "leaders of industries they are supposed to regulate."
3. Sixty thousand toxic substances and chemicals in sludge!!! When I read this I could not believe that anyone could even think to spread this on farms. I believe that almost anyone would be willing to pay a few extra dollars for the sake of their health.
4. It is interesting how the PR industry manipulates ideas through names. For example chaging toxic slude to "biosolids," or the Federation of Sewage Workers changing its name to the Water Environment Federation.
5. I think it is very sad that there is such environmental inequality. The poorest of the poor are always subjected to the worst environmental conditions because they cannot fight off large corporations and organizations. It is shocking and sad how the environment and animals in a wealthy area are protected while the humans of a low-income area are exposed to toxic chemicals.



Questions:
1. What type of person thinks to spread hazardous material where we grow food?!
2. Where, and how often is selective science used?
3. What should we do with the sludge?

1 comment:

  1. Toxic Sludge is a diffcult read (you should see the rest of the book!), but essential information for us all to be informed and critical citizens in a democratic society. Good questions... some other nations have figured out what to do with sludge, so there ARE better answers. (see Trevor's post on this topic)

    ReplyDelete